I am, therefore...

Moose bites, sociopolitical ponderings, and other quality programming.

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Thus we vote away our future

Can I possible express how dismayed I am?

I never liked George W. Bush. I didn't like him when he was govenor, I didn't vote for him in 2000, I didn't like him before, on, or after 9/11.

On this day, November 3rd, 2004, I am ashamed to be an American. Or rather, ashamed to be grouped with those who have voted for so many conservative Republicans today. This is not to say that all Republicans are wrong, or evil, or that I disagree with all of them. Hell, I even voted for one for State Rep.

I am a Liberal. I want to know why that seems to be such a dirty word to so many.
I am Pro-Choice, though I personally would not get an abortion. I support programs which promote safe-sex, and prevention of pregnancy and STDs.
I support gay marriage, though I am not gay.
I want stricter enviromental protection laws.
I was against the tax cuts/refunds this administration pushed through at the beginning of 2001.
I support campaign finance reform.
I don't believe that "trickle-down economics" actually work, due to the inherent anarchy of that theory.
I think we should have stricter gun control laws- either that, or every adult should carry a gun. (Think about it.)
I think Prez Clinton behaved despicably in his personal life, but was an excellent president.
No-bid government contracts sicken me.
I would rather go through the U.N. with military action, if only because it placates other nations so they're more willing to help out if we ever need them.
I believe in the separation of church and state- we are supposed to be a Democracy, not a Theocracy.
I oppose the Patriot Act because it infringes on our Constitutional rights- I am not willing to accept fewer personal rights/freedoms in exchange for (supposedly) greater security against terrorist threats.
My views are my own; I have not adopted them because a certain party has, nor because family/friends forced these views upon me.
I am an American, born and raised, and I am loyal to this country. This does not mean that I am loyal to our legislative representatives, nor to our President.

The current presidential administration has led the way in weakening our enviromental laws, in massively increasing the size of government, in hurting the economy through unwise tax cuts, in increasing prejudice against homosexuals and foreigners, in creating a massive national debt.
Our president led us into an unwise and apparently ill-prepared military action (aka, the War in Iraq), has alienated allies and much of the U.N., has polarized our nation by taking hard-line stances on controversial issues. This doesn't even address the fact that he was an alcoholic who barely graduated college, and that my fifteen-year-old brother is more articulate than President Bush is.

I think about what I would like to say to Mr. Bush if I ever met him face-to-face. I have a certain amount of respect for the office, and would be more than a little hesitant about stating my true opinions. But probably not hesitant enough to keep my mouth shut. I'd really like to have a philosophical discussion with the man and hear his personal views on certain issues, fully explained. I want to know that he can defend his beliefs and opinions with something other than the Bible, and something more definite than "because its the right thing to do". I'm usually able to say things without people getting really upset and offended, and I'd like to be able to try it out on someone in such a position of power.

I am afraid for The United States of America, and for the world. I am afraid that the damage done to the Earth will be irreparable, that there will be nothing good left here for future generations. I am frightened by how divided we are.

I'm terrified.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home