I am, therefore...

Moose bites, sociopolitical ponderings, and other quality programming.

Friday, December 10, 2004

This is at least as depressing as Lemony Snicket's books

CSI. I'm hooked. It used to be a show I would watch now and then, and enjoy. Now it has become a show I can't miss. Even when it annoys me, I have to watch. I think my strongest reasons for watching, at this point, are 1) to find out more about Sara's fucked-up past, and 2) to ogle Warrick/Gary.

Last night's ep: "No Humans Involved". (spoilers ahead, folks)

* Okay, I don't hate Sofia, by any means. I just would rather see the longtime cast members. There is already plenty of people, most of whom we don't see enough of, and then to spread it out even more..? But I still don't fault Sofia/Louise. Of course the writers did that on purpose, made it impossible to truly despise her.

* Brass and Grissom! I like it when they actually speak to each other.

* Okay, this is really depressing. A five year old kid? Starved to death. Not like, 'he starved to death', but 'she starved him to death'. Horrendous. The aunt should totally get the death penalty.

* Sara has Issues, as we all know. We also learned, earlier this season, that her Issues are related to her family/childhood. Now we learn that she was in the foster system as a teenager. Her mother was on trial in 1984, which would make Sara about 13. What the fuck was she on trial for? Abuse, neglect, something worse? What about her father? Her parents are (were?) ex-hippies. Not a perfect match with someone like their daughter, true, but apparently it went further than that. How much worse? Dammit, now I'm even more curious.

* Warrick lost his temper. Hm. It wasn't completely unjustified, but he should know better. The prison guy was Russell Wong! Who I adore. But he was a jerk in this ep.

* I like that Catherine sets guidelines for her CSIs. Ultimately, she will be a much better supervisor than Grissom.

* Random comment: Does Grissom even remember that Sara exists? He apparently hasn't checked up on her, even though he's supposed to be keeping an extra-close eye on her after the sorta-DUI. We know this because of Ecklie, who said Grissom hadn't noted her progress in her file, and we know this because we've barely seen Grissom and Sara together all season. Grissom often annoys me by pulling crap like this.

* The best parts of the eps were Sara with the kids. First with the girl from the foster home (the actress is Mae Whitman, who I guarantee you've seen before), then with the two boys when they find them in the basement. God, that moment..heart-wrenching.

* "Are you going to take her to the hospital or the morgue, first?" Sara and Brass conversing! I like the vibe there. But Sara's response when Brass asks what she thinks? "Go with the living. The dead will wait."

* That ending, Sara seeing what everyone else is doing. It's an obvious way of reinforcing that Sara is alone with her problems, though partly because she chooses to not join the others. She seems so..resigned, numb. There's a certain amount of depression there, I think. The people she works with, ostensibly her friends, are oblivious to her pain- to her, in many ways. I kinda wish her past would all come out, so everyone would know. So they would realize.

Okay, I'm done. No more CSI for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home